AUTOMATION AND SENSOR TECHNOLOGY FOR IMPROVED DATA CASE STUDY
Energy, Oil & Gas
Our client, an energy company, needed a complete platform that could establish remote connectivity and absorb multiple data sources of all kinds with a reporting output for operations and central site management.
To address our client’s challenges, we implemented an IoT Platform integrating multiple data sources.
Our IIoT platform was able to capture sensor data from Rig (sub-second data), store data locally for Operations & Site teams, store streaming data & historic sensor details, and more.
The client had multiple offshore drilling rigs that had automation and sensor technology in place for in-person operations (on-site teams and operators), but lacked the ability for real-time (or near real-time) connectivity to centralized business locations for reporting and optimization. Their goal was a complete platform that could establish remote connectivity and absorb multiple data sources of all kinds with a reporting output for operations and central site management. They needed a solution that could:
- Capture and communicate rig data (including pump operations & configuration, flow speed, pressure, and settings, pump & serial number, usage, on/off battery power, etc.).
- Capture data from pipe mills
- Upload data from operations
- Upload data from connection run
- Integrate all data sets into meaningful reporting
To address our client’s challenges, we implemented an IoT Platform integrating:
- IoT sensor data
- SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
- ERP Data (equipment purchase/lease date, operational data, staffing, service data etc.)
- Big Data from external sources
- NORA (Non-Obvious Relationship Awareness) data
CAPTURE SENSOR DATA FROM RIG (SUB-SECOND DATA)
STORE DATA LOCALLY FOR OPERATIONS & SITE TEAMS
NEAR REAL-TIME CONNECTIVITY TO CENTRAL DATACENTER
SUB-SECOND TO 5-MINUTE AGGREGATED DATA TRANSFER FROM RIG TO CENTRAL SITE/DATA CENTER
STORE STREAMING DATA & HISTORIC SENSOR DETAILS